email@example.com or 208 E. Edgewood Dr. Friendswood, TX 77546
ESA – National Home School Science Honor Society
NEW ADDRES FOR MAILING: 208 E. Edgewood Dr. Friendswood, Tx. 77546
The purpose of the National Home School Science Honor Society shall be to recognize and encourage scholarship and interest in science among home school students. To achieve this purpose, NHSSHS shall provide opportunities for the development of leadership and service. NHSSHS shall encourage the development of an intellectual climate that will stimulate the exchange of ideas and ideas, foster scholarship, and promote academic excellence in the field of science. The NHSSHS shall also advocate homeschooling as a viable and successful educational methodology and act as a liaison for homeschooling to the general public, colleges/universities, and the media.
- Submit a science test score. The following test scores may be submitted for membership:
- 90% on Iowa, Stanford, or Terra Nova Science Section
- 26 on ACT Science Test
- 4 0r 5 score on AP Science test
- 68 or higher on CLEP Science Test
- 600 or higher SAT 2 – Science Test
- Online testing may be used if the test is given at a testing center or at a private tester’s facility. Parents must not have access to the student, computer, or test materials while the test is being administered. Students may not have access to other electronic devices which may connect to the internet, email, or texting during testing.
- Test scores should not be more than 1 year old.
- All tests must be administered in a group setting if a parent is helping with the test administration. If a group setting is not possible, a non-family member may administer the test in a one-on-one setting, as long as the parent does not have access to the test. Parent administered tests are not acceptable.
- Submit a transcript showing a 3.5 GPA (weighted).
- Membership is open for grades 9-12. Seniors must submit their applications no later than Oct. 31 of the senior year.
- Dues are $40 per year, payable to the National ESA office. Failure to keep dues current will inactivate membership.
- Members should submit a minimum of 20 verified science service/in-service hours yearly to the national office to maintain membership.
- Science internship – medical programs, NASA, collegiate programs, other business/governmental agencies that focus on science.
- Science Teaching – co-ops, youth groups, camps, etc.
- Participation in environmental, recycling, or other community service science oriented programs.
Please Note: The NHSSHS is limited to home school students; this is the only limitation we have. We are friendly to people of all faiths and political persuasions.
Only those students who meet the HSLDA definition of a home schooler are eligible for ESA membership. This rule states that a student must complete 50% of his/her studies at home under the direct supervision of the parent. Co-ops, group classes, and even community college courses are acceptable as long as the 50% rule is followed. Students enrolled in public school programs, charter school programs, full-time college programs, or other programs where more than 50% of the school time is spent in the supervision of a school setting or where the public school receives 50% funding for the student’s attendance or where the public school system, umbrella school, on-line school assigns the grades without parent participation, are not eligible for ESA membership. (See HSLDA’s webpage at www.hslda.org for more information.)
- The Explorer Award – submit 50 or more science service hours (Student will receive honor cords, award certificate, and recognition on ESA and NHSSHS social media pages.)
- The Inventor Award – submit 75 or more service hours; submit proof of participation in a local science fair (Student will receive honor cords, award certificate, and recognition on ESA and NHSSHS social media pages.)
- The Scientist Award – submit 100 or more service hours; submit proof of participation in a regional, state, or national science fair (Student will receive honor cords, award certificate, and recognition on ESA and NHSSHS social media pages.)
- NHSSHS honor cord/shawl
- Honor Cord for each level of awards program